|Back to Back Issues Page|
The Secret of Learning How to Draw is Easier than You Think
August 02, 2018
Drawing can seem a mystery beyond the abilities of mere mortals but actually the secret of learning how to draw is easier than you think!
You can learn the five perceptual skills that make up the skill of drawing in a 5-day Drawing on Right Side of the Brain® workshop.
Whether you are a complete beginner or want to develop existing skills further the 5-day Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain® workshop teaches so much more than learning to draw (though we do that too).
"It’s nearly a year since I did DRSB and I just wanted to let you know how dramatically it improved my confidence and increased my pleasure in drawing. Not a week has gone by without me picking up a pencil, or pastel and putting the skills to use. ” Kate Nixon
How do we learn to draw?Drawing is a global skill – a global skill is one that is made up of component skills. So for example if you want to learn to read and write you need to learn the alphabet, grammar and have a good vocabulary. Other global skills are things like riding a two-wheel bicycle and learning to drive a car. The skills you will learn on a 5-day workshop are perceptual skills:
1. Edges In drawing an edge is a shared boundary between the object and the space around it. We discover if we slow the pencil line right down, L-Mode gets bored and allows R-Mode to take over allowing us to see all the nuances that make up a line or edge.
2. Spaces Focusing on the spaces around and between the object is another strategy to allow R-Mode to take over the task. By drawing the empty spaces we get the object for free.
3. Sighting Sighting angles and proportions correctly is the key to make something look realistic. Once you understand the skill of sighting you can make anything look three-dimensional.
4. Light and Shadow Rendering light and shade helps create form and also contributes to the mood of the drawing.
5. The Gestalt This fifth skill is the essence of the subject – the likeness, the mood, all the things that make it what it is. This final skill arises out of rendering the other four skills accurately.
It can often feel a struggle to learn a global skill but we suddenly ‘get it’ and then we have it for life. Would you like to learn these skills? If the answer is Yes, contact me now to book for September 17-21st in central London. Contact me here
Whether you are a complete beginner or perhaps you would just like to develop your skills and confidence, particularly at drawing from life, then this 5-day Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain® workshop is for you.
Dr. Betty Edwards' Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain® 5-day intensive course is a proven technique for teaching drawing - particularly to those people who swear they could never be taught to draw!
Courses are held in central London and north Wales and taught by Anna Black a Certified Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain® instructor, operating under license from Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain® Inc (www.drawright.com)
Please feel free to forward this newsletter to anyone who you think might be interested. There is a link at the bottom of the page where they can subscribe.
You can contact Anna Black here
Read what the media and other people have thought of Betty Edwards' Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain® course here ( a new window will open)
Visit Learn to Draw Right on Social MediaVisit Learn to Draw Right on Facebook here and we are on Instagram here
Your PrivacyWe all hate spam and I will never sell your details on to any third party.
If you'd rather not hear from me there is an unsubscribe link at the bottom of this email.
Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain® USA
If you are in the USA and want to find out about Betty Edwards' Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain® courses run by Brian Bomeisler in the USA and overseas visit
Received this Newsletter from a Friend?If you've been forwarded this Newsletter from a friend and you'd like to subscribe to Drawing Matters yourself, just
|Back to Back Issues Page|