Happy New Year! Learning to draw can bring many benefits that go far beyond the skill itself.
1) Use it or lose it Slow down the cognitive effects of ageing. Learning something new activates new neural pathways in the brain and strengthens existing ones. Studies have shown that engaging in a new activity that is challenging improves memory.
2) Expand your social circle Learning something new widens our social network introducing us to new people. Drawing can open up connections face-to-face through ongoing groups and classes as well as online – the world is yours to connect with!
3) Boost your confidence Realising we are never too old to learn something new boosts our confidence in other areas of life.
4) Improve your critical thinking skills Many of us are very ‘left-brained’ with high verbal and analytical skills. However neglected ‘right-brain’ skills are equally important for critical thinking
so redressing this balance enables us to access ideas and wisdom that are not available to us at a verbal conscious level.
5) Have fun and relax your mind Drawing is a great way to switch off a busy mind so whether you are working or retired, learning to draw will nourish your creative side.
So why not step outside your comfort zone and try something different – learning to draw is actually about learning to see. We learn to see as an artist sees – how exciting is that!
I am offering two options - one for people new to Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain and another for those of you who have worked with me before.
5-day Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain Workshop in Scotland.
March is now full but I've added a new date for April and there is also a May date available. Places are limited and after May, the next courses will be in the autumn. I don't have any plans to be teaching in
London or elsewhere in the UK in 2024.
2-day Follow-on Workshop in Scotland
I'm also delighted to be finally offering the 2-day follow-on workshop, developed by myself with Betty Edwards and Brian Bomeisler. This is for those of you who have already completed the 5-day workshop. More details below.
Both workshops will be held in Scotland and are residential. This gives you the opportunity to relax and recharge in beautiful surroundings on the shores of Loch Goil (just over an hour from Glasgow Airport or 2.5 hours from Edinburgh airport). The workshops are held in my studio and so the group is small - maximum 5 participants - and you get to have the company of little Mac Black - my yorkipoo as a bonus! You will stay in Rowan House, the five star rated B&B run by my husband and I.
A couple of people have mentioned that my emails have gone into their spam folder so if you email me but don't hear
back please check your junk folder. If you are having problems you can always use email@example.com.
This residential course will be held in Carrick Castle, Lochgoilhead (about 70 minutes from Glasgow international airport).
In each 5-day workshop you will get:
- 5 days of drawing
- 35 hours of teaching
- includes portfolio of drawing materials and unique Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain® tools to support your drawing (RSP £115)
- Supportive and encouraging learning environment
- No more than 5 people in group
Saturday 23rd March (check-in after 4pm) until Friday 29th March 2024 (check out by 10am). The workshop is Sunday 24th - Thursday 28th March 9.30am to 5.30pm.
Monday 1st April (check-in after 4pm) until Sunday 7th April 2024 (check out by 10am). The workshop is Tuesday 2nd - Saturday 6th 9.30am to 5.30pm.
Sunday 5th May (check-in after 4pm) until Saturday 11th May 2024 (check out by 10am). the workshop
begins Monday 6th May 9.30am and ends by 5.30pm Friday 10th May.
5 Days to Learn to See - and Draw!
Day 1 EDGES An introduction to Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain and the importance of strengthening 'R-mode' ('right brain') so you can choose which mode of mind you can use depending on the task in hand. You will also learn about edges and how knowledge can get in the way of drawing. You will start using the unique Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain tools you will receive in your portfolio. You will also do your pre-instruction drawing.
Day 2 NEGATIVE SPACE The modified contour drawing of a foreshortened hand is all about edges and negative space. In the afternoon we draw a chair focusing on negative space and start learning how to draw things in proportion with the correct angles - sighting. We choose a chair as there is nowhere to hide and misperceptions in sighting will show up clearly.
Day 3 SIGHTING Often said to be the most difficult skill to learn, learning to sight angles and proportions correctly is
key to depicting a 3-dimensional object/scene in two dimensions.
DAY 4 PROFILE PORTRAIT You will learn key proportions for drawing someone from life in the profile view. The profile portrait is a chance to practice all the skills you have been learning.
DAY 5 BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER After learning about the theory of light and shadow (although you will be using light and shadow all through the week), the main drawing is the self-portrait. Students get to see the progress they have made compared to their pre-instruction drawings.
Whether you are interested in drawing, painting, printmaking, design, photography... learning to see as an artist sees is an essential first step. Now the journey really begins!
If you would like further information and to book please reply to this email.
2-Day Follow-on Workshop
This workshop is for you if:
- You have had a break in drawing after the 5-day workshop and are struggling to get back into it.
- You feel you were just getting the hang of the concepts at the end of the 5-day workshop and would like to reinforce and consolidate that learning.
- You are looking for an opportunity to practice and strengthen the drawing skills learned on the 5-day workshop.
Monday 15th to Thursday 18th April 2024
(Workshop Tuesday 16th and Wednesday 17th April 2024)
One place left
Mon 20th May - Thursday 23rd May
(Worskhop Tuesday 21st and Wednesday 22nd May)
Registration just opened!
HOW MUCH Course fee £195 plus accommodation fee in B&B or self-catering apartment. Further details on request.
Note - this workshop is only open to those who have completed the 5-day workshop>
GOT A QUESTION?
You can contact Anna Black here
Please feel free to forward this to anyone who you think might be interested. There is a link at the bottom of the page where they can subscribe.
Visit Learn to Draw Right on
and we are on
We all hate spam and I will never sell your details on to any third party.
If you'd rather not hear from me there is an unsubscribe link at the bottom of this email.
If your computer only allows you to view a text only version of this newsletter you can see the colour version with colour images
Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain® USA
If you are in the USA and want to find out about Betty Edwards' Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain® courses run by Brian Bomeisler in the USA and overseas visit
Received this Newsletter from a Friend?
If you've been forwarded this Newsletter from a friend and you'd like to subscribe to Drawing Matters yourself, just